As a forest landowner, or as someone who helps to steward forests, you can have a significant impact on climate change through the land-use decisions you make.
Forest Carbon: An Essential Natural Solution for Climate Change
2019 University of Massachusetts Amherst
What role will your forest play?
- the difference between carbon storage and sequestration
- what is a carbon pool
- the difference between individual tree and forest-wide growth rates
- how forest succession and development affects carbon storage and sequestration
- the role of forest products in the carbon story
- the carbon trade-offs of passive and/or active approaches to forest management
- carbon-informed forest management
In addition to keeping forests as forests, landowners’ decisions about the management of their forest and carbon should be made with an understanding of the trade-offs between maximizing carbon sequestration and storage and meeting their other goals (forest resiliency, wildlife, local wood products).